IBM GLOBAL SERVICES PAPER
1. In 1978, a kg of paper was sold at Rs25/-. I f the paper rate increases at 1.5% more than inflation rate which is of 6.5% a year , then what wil be the cost of a kg of paper after 2 years?
a)29.12 (b) 29.72 (c) 30.12 (d) 32.65 (e) none of these
2. In A,B,C are having some marbles with each of them. A has giben B and C the same number of marbles they already have to each of them. then, B gave C and A the same no. of marbles they have, then C gave A and B the same no. of marbles they have. At the end A,B,and C have equal no. of marbles.
(i) If x,y,z are the marbles initially with A,B,C respectively. then the no of marbles B have at the end
(b) 4(x-y-z) etc.
(ii)If the total no. of marbles are 72, then the no. of marbles with A at the starting
a. 20 b. 30 c. 32
3. If a car starts from A towards B with some velocity due to some problem in the engine after travelling 30km.If the car goes with 4/5 th of its actuval velocity the car reaches B 45min later to the actual time. If the car engine fails ofter travelling 45km, the car reaches the destination B 36min late to the actual time , what is the initial velocity of car and what is the distance between A and B in km
Ans: 20 & 130.
4. A person has Rs 100/- in his pocket, he can as 25 pencils or 15books. He kept 15% of the money for travelling expenses and purchased 5 pencils.So how many books he can purchase with the remaining money.
5. Ten questions on analogies.
Examp: hammer : carpenter :: knife : butcher.
6. The values of shares A,B and C from january to june are as follows.
Month A B C
JAN 30 60 80
FEB 35 65 85
MAR 45 75 65
APR 40 75 82
MAY 55 75 85
JUNE 50 75 80
i) During this period which share has undergone max fluctuation?
ii) In which month it is possible to buy B and C selling A?
iii) In which month the share values are very low?
iv) By purchasing one share of A and 4 each of B and C in the beginning of the period , to get max profit when this shares should be sold?
7. In a computer institute 9 languages can taught. The module is of 6 months duration and only six languages each of one month can be taught. In addition to that BASIC is always there and should be in first month itself -
# word perfect is to be taught in the preceeding week of word star.
# FORTRAN can not be taught until COBAL is coarsed prior to that
# BINO, FIFO never be taught in single module languages are BASIC, WORD STAR, WORD PERFECT, FORTRAN, COBAL, BINO, FIFO, LOTUS, C
i. Of the following which module is possible based on above conditions.
ii) If word star is in 3rd month , what could be in 6th month.
iii) If COBAL is in the 2nd month and BINO in 6th month are there
in addition to the above condition, FORTRAN will be in which month.
8. In a class , except 18 all are above 50 years. 15 are below 50 years of age. how many people are there
a) 30 b) 33 c) 36 d) none of these.
9. A square plot of some size , at four corners equal squares of some size are cut and is formed as open box. If this open box carries 128ml of oil. What is the size of the plate i.e. side
a.17 b.14 c.13
10. In a square , all the mid points are joined. the inner square is shaded. If the area of the square is A, what is the shaded area?
11. (x#y) = x+y-xy
(x*y) = (x+y)/2
i) (x#y)#(x*y) < (x#y), which of the below values of x, y will satisfy this equation
ii) (a*b)#(b*c)< (a#b)*(b*c) , what values of a,b,c satisfy the above.
12) PATH = /bin : /usr : /yourhome The file /bin/calender has the following line in it cal 10 1997 The file /yourhome/calender has the following line in it cal 5 1997 If the current directory is /yourhome and calender is executed -
a) The calendar for May 1997 will be printed on screen
b) The calendar for Oct 1997 will be printed on screen
c) The calendar for the current month( whatever it is) will be printed
d) Nothing will get printed on screen
e) An error massage will be printed
13) what will be the result of the following program ?
static char xxx;
g = gxxx();
printf("The string is : %s",gxxx());
a) The string is : string
b) The string is :Oldstring
c) Run time error/Core dump
d) Syntax error during compilation
e) None of these
14) What will be result of the following program?
void myalloc(char *x, int n)
x= (char *)malloc(n*sizeof(char));
printf("The string is %s",g);
a) The string is : String
b) Run time error/Core dump
c) The string is : Oldstring
d) Syntax error during compilation
e) None of these
Ans) c ( check it )
15) which of the following function is used to repaint a window immediately
16) which function is the entry point for a DLL in MS Windows 3.1
17) The standard source for standard input , standard output and standard error is
a) the terminal
c) /usr/you/input, /usr/you/output/, /usr/you/error respectively
18) What will be the result of the following program?
if(p[sizeof(p)-2]== g )
if(p[sizeof(p)-2]== g )
a) Pass 1, Pass 2
b) Fail 1, Fail 2
c) Pass 1, Fail 2
d) Fail 1, Pass 2
e) syntax error during compilation
19) Which of the choices is true for the mentioned declaration ? const char *p; and char * const p;
a) You can t change the character in both
b) First : You can t change the characterr &
Second : You can;t change the pointer
c) You can t change the pointer in both
d) First : You can t change the pointer &
Second : You can t chanage the character
Ans) b ( check it)
20) The redirection operators > and >>
a) do the same function
b) differ : > overwrites, while >> appends
c) differ : > is used for input while >> is used for output
d) differ : > write to any file while >> write only to standard output
e) None of these
21) The command grep first second third /usr/you/myfile
a) prints lines containing the words first, second or third from the file /usr/you/myfile
b) searches for lines containing the pattern first in the files second, third, and /usr/you/myfile and prints them
c) searches the files /usr/you/myfiel and third for lines containing the words first or second and prints them
d) replaces the word first with the word second in the files third and /usr/you/myfile
e) None of the above
1)speed of boat in still water is 10kmph..if it travels 24km downstream,16km upstream in the same amount of time,what is the speed of the stream?
2)a cube of 3 units is painted on all sides.If this cube is divided into cubes of 1 unit,how many cube have none of their faces painted?
(e)none of these
3)if a person sells a product for rs141/- he suffers a loss of 6%.if he has to have a profit of 10%, at what price should he sell it?
Ans.rs.165 (i think,check)
4)a ball falls from a height of 8ft ,bounces back to half the distance & continues till it comes to rest. what is the total distance travelled by the ball?
(d)cannot be determined
5)which of the following is the sum of 3 consecutive prime nos?
(c)both a &b
6)if the area of a square has increased by 69%,by what % has its side increased?
7)in a class the average age is 16yrs.if the teacher who is 40 yrs of age is also included ,the average becomes 17yrs,how many students were there?
8)if 3 houses are to be painted,mr A can paint a house in 6 days(nos are not same)...mr B can do the same in 8 days...& mr.C in 12 days.if mr A does the work for 8 days & leaves for vacation, & mr B continues the work for the next 6 days, for how many days should mr.C work?
9)4 thieves rob a bakery of the breadone after the other.each thief takes half of what is present ,& half a bread...if at the end 3 bread remains,what is the no of bread that was present initiallly?
10)if the 1rst day of 1999 is a sunday,what is the last day?
(d)cannot be determined.
11) If A driver drives a car four times a lap 10,20 30,60 kmph what is his average speed.
In a group there are two kinds of people type A & type B.type A people answer for any question as YES & that of type B as NO.if they can not answer to these question then they remain silent. the mayor asks question to them as follows........
12).if he asks a person are u type A a.YES b.NO c. Silent d.Can not be determined
13)he asks two persons X &Ysimultaneously whether u of same type
a. YES b. NO c.YES or NO d. Silent e. can not be determined
14).pointing to a person X he asks Y what is his type
a. YES b. No c. Silent d can not be determined
15).pointing to a person X he asks Y if I ask him whether r u type A ,will he answer YES.Y says NO .what type of B is
a. YES b. NO . c. Silent d. can not be determined
16)six squares of same dimension are kept side by side to make a rectangle with a perimeter of 182 cm. what is the perimeter of each square.
17)one student takes 20 mins to reach school if he goes at a speed of 15kmph .At what speed should he go to reach in 15 mins ( nos are not same)
Ans: 16kmph( check)
18)how many rational numbers are there between 0 & 5
19)A certain number of bullets were shared by 3 people equally.Each of them fired 4 bullets and the sum of the remaining bullets was equal to the initial share each had got.what was the initial number of bullets?
Ans:18..( 18/3=6; 6-4=2,6-4=2,6-4=2; 2+2+2=6=ans)
20)A trigger is
(a) a statement ..start of database..
(b)statements that r executed as a side effect to the modification to the database
21)what does the following statement mean?
(a) a is a pointer to an array of 4 integers
(b) a is an array of pointers to integer
(c) a is a pointer to function returning an integer
22)best method to find out whether a given array already sorted,is sorted or not in min. time
Ans. insertion sort (check)
23)a primary key in one table also present in some other table is called
(a) foreign key
(b) secondary key
(c) subordinate key
Ans. foreign key
24)which of the following is a real time system?
(b)airline ticket reservation(ans)
25) A question to convert a big no in decimal to octal(check only for the last 2 nos in ans is sufficient)
26) which of the following is an example of a spooling device?
(b) line printer..
27) if in a table:account no,account holders name,account type ,.....(something else was given)are the fields,which of them could be the primary key?
(b)account holders name
28)if a file is opened in "r+" mode(in C),it means
29)what is the difference between 123 and 0123 in c?
30) Software Configuration Management process is -
(a)developing & managing software for .....software....
(b)developing & managing hardware for....software.......
31) Data Integrity constraint is
(a) to ensure the presence of primary key
32)which of the following uses the minimum length of cable?
(e)all of the above
33)how can u append the ls and who to certain existing file (like that)(i.e.listing & output of who is to be directed to a file
34)suppose u have a network .users complain of slow ....u suspect a problem in network adapter once u find that the data is continuous and erroneous.what device do u use?
(d)all of the above
35)What is vector processing?
36)x-=y+1 is equivalent to what?
37) in a student form what is the relationship b/w student and course
(a)one to one
(b)many to one
(c)one to many
(d)many to many
(b)permanent & fast
(c)device containig boot up program & is not accessible